A BIT ABOUT ME
Believe it or not, I didn’t grow up with dreams of becoming an artist one day.
It’s something that’s always been there — just under the surface in every step along the way.
I guess you could say it started on a cold winter day when as a little girl, I uttered those all too familiar words to adults everywhere — ”I’m bored”. My Grandma set an odd assortment of colored pencils and paper before me with the suggestion to draw something.
The seeds of my art career were sown there at the kitchen table of my paternal grandparents, drawing the birds that visited the feeder.
quick fun facts:
I’m an identical twin. Our dimples are on opposite sides and that’s how most people used to tell us apart.
As a young girl, I entered baking competitions and won several awards for my apple pies. Yummy!
My 15 minutes of fame was on HGTV’s Simply Quilts in their featured quilt artists segment.
Growing up on a small farm in New York State’s rural agricultural region is what I think started my fascination with nature and interest in the land around us. My Dad would take great pride in sitting down to dinner that had been wholly provided by our own hands.
With my Dad’s encouragement and support, I enrolled at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, graduating with honors. I worked in several ad agencies’ creative department before moving on to design fabric and patterns for the quilting industry.
The love of nature and drawing led me to an oil painting class that reignited a passion for traditional painting and ultimately back to the studio.
Most days are spent in the studio or outside sketching and painting. I’ve always found nature to provide endless inspiration and ideas, a day in the woods rekindles my creativity and offers an opportunity to reflect and renew. This feeling is what I hope to bring to the viewer and their home through my paintings.
• Nancy Murty: Transitions – P. Tribastone Fine Art Gallery, Canandaigua, NY
• Nancy Murty: Migration – Multi-Use Community Cultural Center, Rochester, NY
• Nancy Murty: Springtide – StaryNites, Rochester, NY
• Flowers Bloom, Birds Sing – P. Tribastone Fine Art Gallery, Canandaigua, NY
• Three Visions: Through Women’s Eyes – Anthony Road Wine Co, Penn Yan, NY
• Birds of a Feather – The Hungerford, Rochester, NY
• Student Works – Bella Muse Gallery, Odgen, UT
• The Birds are Back – P. Tribastone Fine Art Gallery, Canandaigua, NY
Years Prior to 2016
• A Matter of Beauty – 1570 Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2015
• Arts at the Gardens – Sonnenberg Gardens & Mansion, Canandaigua, NY, 2014
• FLUX 12 – Hungerford Building, Rochester, NY, 2012
• A Personal Landscape – SUNY Oswego, NY, 2008
• MAGnificent Inspirations – Memorial Art Gallery, Rochester, NY, 2008
• A Quilter’s Palette – Amherst Museum, Amherst, NY, 2006
• Kenan Quilt Show – Kenan Center, Lockport, NY, 2005
• Quilts: A World of Beauty – International Quilt Market & Festival, Houston, TX, 2005
• Quilts: A World of Beauty – Spring International Quilt Festival, Chicago, IL, 2005
• Rural Roots & Mysteries – Aullwood Audubon Center, Dayton, OH, 2005
• Quilts=Art=Quilts – Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY, 2004
• Quilts: A World of Beauty – International Quilt Market & Festival, Houston, TX, 2004
• Kenan Quilt Show – Kenan Center, Lockport, NY, 2003
• Blending Art & Tradition – Genesee Valley Quilt Club, Rochester, NY, 2002
• Greens for Dinner, Aullwood Audubon Center, Dayton, OH
• Ray Hemachandra & Karey Patterson Bresenhan, 500 Art Quilts: An Inspiring Collection of Contemporary Work (cover image), Lark Books, March 2010
• HGTV Simply Quilts (artist profile), Weller/Grossman Productions, episode #1124
• Kenan House Award, Kenan Center, 2005
• Honorable Mention, International Quilt Market and Festival, 2005
• Best Craftsmanship, Aullwood Audubon Center, 2005
• Viewer’s Choice, Aullwood Audubon Center, 2005
• Best Machine Workmanship, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, 2004
• Fairfield Master Award: Contemporary Artistry, International Quilt Market & Festival, 2004
• Viewer’s Choice, Genesee Valley Quilt Club, 2002
• First Place, Genesee Valley Quilt Club, 2002
Public Speaking Engagements
• 5 Key Steps to Marketing for Artists, Rochester Art Club, 2020
• Wish I Knew, Penfield Art Association, 2017
Activities & Affiliations
• American Impressionist Society
• American Women Artists
• Braddock Bay Bird Observatory
• National Oil & Acrylic Painters’ Society, Board Member, Publicity Director
• Oil Painters of America
• Rochester Art Club
Art Institute of Pittsburgh, PA